Lock Poker is the leading skin on the Revolution Network – the second largest poker network that accepts players from the US and the largest that does not insist on anonymity (you will see why this is important in the Q&A below). The site is licensed by the Government of the Netherlands Antilles who insist that, as part of a licensing agreement, an indemnity is lodged to protect players´ deposits.
A brief history of Lock Poker would show that the site was formed by a group of established poker players, who then developed the site to become the largest skin on the Merge Gaming Network before leaving Merge to start the Revolution Network. Using the tagline “Poker as it should be”, Lock Poker has fought for its position in the online poker hierarchy and continues to present itself as a player´s site made by players.
Lock Poker´s Choice of Games
Lock Poker provides what you might call a “limited” choice of real money poker games – offering all formats of Texas Hold´em, Omaha and Omaha Hi Lo with stakes levels starting at micro levels ($0.02/$0.04) and rising to the ultra-nosebleed ($5,000/$10,000). The range of buy-ins for Sit n Go games also varies widely – with high value “Double or Nothing” games being played at stakes of up to $500.00.
Tournaments are pretty well supported on the site (some are exclusive to Lock Poker), but the higher buy-in events do not always make their guarantee – even the $75,000 guaranteed weekly feature only does it on paper because there are 50 seats given away each week in a freeroll. Consequently, it is always worth trying to qualify for a high buy-in tournament through one of the many satellites that Lock Poker host on its site to get some added-value.
The Level of Traffic on Lock Poker
Being part of the second largest US friendly poker network, the cash game traffic on Lock Poker is fairly steady. Most of the time there are around 500 real money poker players on the site, and this rises to about 1,000 during the peak weekend times – an equal number playing in Sit n Go and multi table poker tournaments.
The volume of players on all US friendly poker sites has been affected by the opening of regulated real money poker sites in Nevada and New Jersey, and you can expect the traffic on Lock Poker to increase in the future when players in these regulated States wake up to the fact that they are paying a higher percentage of rake to pay for their poker operator´s licenses.
The Standard of Play on Lock Poker
Despite a lot of the traffic on Lock Poker congregating on the low stakes No Limit Texas Hold´em tables, the standard of play at Lock Poker is remarkably good. The site has (or has had) a number of established professionals representing the site, and still counts among its roster of sponsored pros Michael Mizrachi, Annette Obrestad and Matt Stout.
Player-per-flop percentages in the No Limit Hold´em lobby are ridiculously low (averaging around 20%) which either means that there are plenty of tight players sitting at the Lock Poker real money tables, or nobody is ever being dealt any decent cards (from our experience, we suspect the former). Tournaments are equally as nitty, and you may have to be very patient if you want to extract value from them.
The Lock Poker Bonus
The Lock Poker bonus is a very generous 200% match on deposits up to $2,000, which means that you could snag up to $4,000 in free poker money. $5.00 dollars is released from the pending bonus each time you collect 84 VIP Points – Lock Poker VIP Points are awarded at 1 per $ raked from a cash game table or 7 per $ paid to enter real money poker tournaments. The site uses the dealt rake method of distributing VIP Points – one reason why the play is so tight on Lock Poker – and an explanation of this is included in our Q&A section below.
You have 90 days in which to clear the Lock Poker bonus, and if you are struggling to earn your VIP Points fast enough, you can take advantage of Happy Hour tables which offer double VIP Points during off-peak hours. Just remember to enter the Lock Poker bonus code “THEFUTURE” when making your first deposit and enable your email account to accept emails from Lock Poker´s marketing department so that you are advised when reload bonuses are available, as these can be equally generous.
How to Download the Lock Poker Software
There are two alternative ways of downloading the Lock Poker software, creating an account and funding it. We suggest using the following method, because if you create your account and fund it first, and then experience a problem downloading the software, you might have to wait some time until your funds are returned to you.
- Therefore, follow our link to the Lock Poker web site and click on “Download” in the top menu bar rather than “Join and Play” or either of the Windows/Mac icons which appear alongside it.
- Lock Poker will automatically recognise your computer´s operating system and the .exe or .dmg installation file will automatically be saved to your download folder.
- When the LOCKPOKERSetup file has finished downloading (a matter of seconds), find it in your download folder, click on the file and a set-up Wizard will appear.
- A new dialogue box asks you to select the shortcuts you want on your desktop and start menu, and then you have the option of changing the destination of the installation folder (one will be created by default).
- Click “Install” and the set-up Wizard takes over, installing the Lock Poker software onto your computer. Once the Lock Poker download has concluded, click “Finish” to launch the Lock Poker client and you are ready create and fund your account, and start playing real money poker.
Setting Up and Funding a Lock Poker Account
Once the Lock Poker client is open on your computer, click the “Create Account” button that appears at the top right-hand side of the window. You will be taken to a secure web page “join.lockpoker.eu” where you will be asked to enter your name, email address and a password.
Click “Proceed to Next Step” to move onto the second screen, where you are asked for your address, telephone number and date of birth. Confirm that you are over 18 years of age and read the Lock Poker Terms before agreeing to them, and then click “Create my account”.
After you click “Create my account”, you will receive a Welcome email from Lock Poker and simultaneously be taken to a new web page from where you will be able to fund your account. Click on “Deposit Now” (you will need to enter your email address and password again) and the payment options available for your country of residence will appear.
Lock Poker Loyalty Program
Lock Poker has a four-tier loyalty program which enables players to exchange their VIP Points for cash and recover a percentage of the rake paid on the real money poker tables or fees paid to enter real money poker tournaments. The Lock Poker VIP program kicks in only when you have paid $150.00 in rake/fees in a calendar month and you rise through the tiers/statuses as you reach certain milestones each calendar month.
Players who qualify for the Lock Poker VIP program also get access to a “Vault” from which you can exchange your VIP Points for goodies from the Lock Poker store or use them for tournaments entries. The site also hosts a weekly VIP Freeroll for all qualified VIPs with a $2,500 prize pool.
Extra Features available on Lock Poker
There are surprisingly few extra features on Lock Poker for a “player´s site made by players”, but the ones which exist are pretty good. Each month the site hosts a rake race which rewards players who reach predetermined levels of rake/fees with cash bonuses. The promotion goes under various names (“Ronin”, “Nexus” etc) and is essentially the same each time; but it encourages players to get involved on the tables early in the month, which will be good for your VIP status.
The other worthwhile feature is the “50 Seats Guaranteed” freeroll which takes place each Saturday evening and rewards the top 50 players in the tournament with a seat in the Sunday $75,000 guaranteed feature tournament. As well as paying out some top prizes, you can also win bounties by knocking out Lock Poker sponsored players.
Lock Poker is Most Suitable for:-
- Tight players with a few hours available to clear their Lock Poker bonus
- Players who like valuable tournaments with overrides
- Players with deep pockets who prefer Sit n Go tournaments
- Players who prefer the dealt rake method of allocating player points
Avoid Lock Poker if:-
- You are new to real money poker
- You are a loose player
- You like “uncommon” poker games
- You live in Spain or France – you will not be allowed to register an account!
Lock Poker Q&A:
- Why is non-anonymity so important?
- We believe that one of the key principles of long-term success in real money poker is to understand the betting actions of your opponents and make your own betting decisions based on that knowledge. This is impossible on anonymous tables where everybody is identified by a constantly changing player “number”.
- How much does it cost to enter the Lock Poker $75,000 feature tournament?
- The buy-in for the tournament is $125.00 + $9.00 and the game starts at 7.00pm GMT each Sunday. Late registration goes on for three hours, so you will not know until quite late how much override (if any) there is.
- What is the “dealt rake method”?
- The dealt rake method of allocating VIP Points means that each player dealt into a hand at a cash table shares in the VIP Points allocation at the end of the hand – whether they contributed to the pot or not (provided rake has been deducted from the pot).
- Does Lock Poker have a fast-fold poker game?
- It is not something they offer at the moment, and possibly would not suit the nature of the players that play on the site.
- What are the system requirements for the Lock Poker software?
Lock Poker Download for Windows for MacIntosh System Requirements Minimum Recommended Minimum Recommended Operating System Windows 98 Windows 7 Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.6 Processor 400MHzPentium 1GHz Pentium Power PC G4 Intel x86 Memory 128MB RAM 256MB RAM 128MB RAM 256MB RAM Disc Space 30MB 60MB 50MB 100MB Screen Resolution 800×600 1024×768 800×600 1024×768
- What do players who reach the highest level of the Lock Poker VIP program get?
- Players who reach the giddy heights of Black VIP Elite receive 45% cashback on the rake/fees they have paid and a dedicated VIP rep.
- What is the Lock Poker software like?
- The playing experience is not as smooth as some other sites, but once you get to grips with the filters in the poker lobby it is easy to navigate to your favorite games.