Black Chip Poker is a popular skin on the Winning Poker network – a network which accepts poker players from most States in the US and from the rest of the world “without exception”. Over the years it has developed a reputation for fair play and security, fast cashouts and an excellent range of promotions to suit most online poker players.
Recently it has joined the growing number of online poker sites which accept Bitcoin as a deposit option, increased the frequency of its popular “Beast” rake race and introduced several new promotions for players with limited bankrolls – including an “On Demand” freeroll leaderboard competition which rewards the most successful freerollers with a free seat in the site´s weekly $50,000 guaranteed feature tournament
Black Chip Choice of Games
Black Chip Poker hosts a comprehensive range of the most popular poker games for real money including No Limit Texas Hold´em, Omaha and 7 Card Stud Poker. Because of the nature of player that plays on the site, the majority of the action takes place on the low to mid stakes cash game tables, but the provision exists for games to take place with blinds of $25.00/$50.00.
Sit n Go games (SnGs) are almost exclusively played at NL Texas Hold´em, as are Multi Table Tournaments (MTTs); with the exception being during the site´s annual Online Super Series when a few valuable Omaha and Omaha08 games are included in the schedule. Many of the regular Black Chip Poker tournaments offer guaranteed prize pools, which are not always fully subscribed despite extended late registration and re-entry periods, and can offer additional value to observant (and winning) poker players.
The Standard of Play on Black Chip Poker
Having just mentioned the “nature of the player that plays on the site”, perhaps we ought to discuss this in a little more depth. Inasmuch as there are some particularly strong poker players on Black Chip Poker, the majority are small stakes recreation players who benefit from the twice-monthly reload bonuses and pretty decent Elite Benefits rewards program.
This is not to say that they are weak players, but it is more likely that you will find players who get great enjoyment out of playing poker – rather than make great profits. The exceptions to this “rule” are the players who frequent the “Beast” rake race tables. These players tend to be tight, aggressive players whose sole aim is to make a profit from the weekly promotion while keeping their bankrolls intact and beating the premium on the rake.
The Level of Traffic on Black Chip Poker
The level of traffic on Black Chip Poker is increasing month-on-month – primarily due to the site´s reputation for player security and fast cashouts, but also because players from outside of the US are latching onto some of the value that is available for players on Black Chip Poker. The Winning Poker Network – on which Black Chip Poker resides – is now the second-most popular “offshore” site serving players from the US, and the most popular online poker site that allows players to use their own names!
During peak hours it is possible to see in excess of a thousand cash game players seated around the Black Chip Poker tables, and many more competing in Sng and MTT tournaments. During off-peak hours it is never hard to find a game; and it is often a good time for players to find overlays in tournaments with guaranteed prize pools.
The Black Chip First Deposit Bonus
The Black Chip first deposit bonus is a 100% match on deposits made to fund new accounts up to $1,000. The bonus is cleared by players earning “Benefit Points” when they contribute to the rake deducted from a cash game pot or pay an entry fee to play in a SnG or MTT tournament. The bonus is released in increments of $1.00 each time players have accumulated $5.00 worth of “Benefit Points” (27.50 points) and first time depositors have sixty days in which to clear the Black Chip Poker bonus.
Because of the short time frame allowed, most players tend to take advantage of the twice-monthly reload bonuses which are offered as standard to all players. These bonuses offer a 100% match on reload deposits of up to $200.00, and it is always a good advantage to take advantage of these bonuses whether you need them or not – would you really turn down free poker money?
Black Chip Poker Elite Benefits Program
One of the primary benefits of playing on Black Chip Poker is their Elite Benefits rewards program. Unlike many other sites that offer poker for real money, Black Chip Poker distributes points for its six-tier loyalty scheme using the “dealt rake” method – where every player dealt into a hand gets awarded an equal share of the Benefit Points allocated in that hand, whether they pay to see the flop or not.
It is important to note that the “dealt rake” method of points distribution is different from the “weighted contributed” method used to clear the Black Chip Poker bonus and the method used to allocate “Beast” points for the weekly rake race; and the “dealt rake” method encourages players to compete on multiple tables at a time to earn points quicker and achieve higher statuses.
The Benefit Points that players are awarded at the tables (or for entering SnGs and MTTs) can be spent in Black Chip Poker´s online store, where there is a fairly good selection of poker merchandize and electrical goodies, or be converted into cash bonuses and tournament entry tickets. Provided players can play a few tables at a time at low to mid stakes, it is a fairly beneficial rewards program.
How to Download the Black Chip Poker Software
The Black Chip Poker download is very straightforward, but only available for poker players with a Windows operating system at present. A native Mac client and a mobile app are promised for the future, but – while the traffic on the site is growing – the IT department seems to be more focused on improving the (Windows) poker player experience.
To download the Black Chip Poker software click on one of our links to navigate quickly to the site. Click on the unmissable red button that reads “Download Now” and the .exe installation file will automatically start to download. When the installation file is safely saved in your download folder, click on the Black Chip Poker icon and simply follow the instructions to complete the installation process – making sure that you read the Terms and Conditions during the Black Chip Poker download before accepting them!
Setting Up a Black Chip Poker Account
When the Black Chip Poker download is complete, the poker client will appear on your screen. A smaller dialogue box appears in front of the client asking you to login. Click on the button which reads “Create New Account” and you will be taken to a new web page where you will be asked to enter a user name (*), a password, your country of residence and how you heard about Black Chip Poker. A drop-down multi-option field will appear for you to select “Other” and insert the Black Chip Poker bonus code “PRMBONUS”.
A second page appears after you confirm that you are over eighteen years of age and have read the Terms and Conditions on which you are asked to enter your address, date of birth, telephone number and gender. Click the “Create Account” button and a welcome email will be sent to you, providing you with information about how to fund your Black Chip Poker account. At the same time, a secure web browser window opens inviting you to make your first deposit into your new Black Chip Poker account.
(*) This is not the same as your screen name – you will be asked for that when you first login
Funding Your Black Chip Poker Account
As mentioned at the top of the page, Black Chip Poker has recently started accepting Bitcoin as a deposit option, and more conventional methods of funding a Black Chip Poker account also exist. Depending on your country of residence, the choice of deposit options includes Visa-backed debit and credit cards, P2P transfers via MoneyGram, and several eWallet options including EcoPayz. Please be aware that limits apply to P2P transfers that may not allow players to deposit the maximum $1,000 to qualify for the Black Chip Poker bonus.
Cashout facilities have now been extended to include Bitcoin as well as prepaid debit card, P2P transfers (again, low limits and charges apply) and selected eWallets. Players can also request one free withdrawal by check or wire transfer each month – thereafter fees of between $65 and $300 will apply depending on the value of the withdrawal request. Most withdrawal requests are dealt with in a few days. P2Ptransfers, checks and wire transfers can take up to fifteen days to be processed.
Extra Features available on Black Chip Poker
There are loads of extra features available on Black Chip Poker from software bells and whistles to the weekly “Beast” rake race, the weekly “Sit n Crush” SnG leaderboard competition and the bi-weekly “On Demand” freeroll leaderboard competition (imagine winning a share of $50,000 because you did well in a couple of freerolls).
The “Beast” is probably the highlight feature for many players – simply because it pays out so much each week (usually c. $100,000 in cash prizes and tournament tickets) and because it pays so deep – enabling recreational and low stakes players to get a slice of the action. The Beast rake race runs from 00:00 (ET) on Saturday´s to 23:59 (ET) the following Friday, and the leaderboard is updated in real time – so you always know where you stand and what you have to do to cash in the promotion.
Black Chip Poker is Most Suitable for:-
- Players located in the US – particularly the Eastern Seaboard
- New, recreational or experienced players
- Tight aggressive players
- Players who would like the option of qualifying for live poker events in the Caribbean
Avoid Black Chip Poker if:-
- You are a passive player who prefers to limp into pots
- You want to play Omaha or Stud during off-peak periods
- You do not understand the principle of dealt rake or how to exploit it
- You want every poker tournament you play in to have a massive prize pool
Black Chip Poker Q&A
- Is it legal to play online poker for real money at Black Chip?
- In some jurisdictions, local laws make it illegal to play online poker, or online poker on a non-regulated site. There are no federal laws in the US which prohibit real money poker and Black Chip Poker adheres to consumer regulations intended to protect each player and the security of their funds.
- Are all the guaranteed poker tournaments under-subscribed?
- Black Chip Poker does a good job of balancing its tournament schedule and, as the popularity of the site increases, the tournaments which were previously nailed-on to have an overlay often fill up. Watch out for some erratic late registration periods before committing funds to a tournament which may remain open for another four hours!
- How many tables can be multitabled on Black Chip Poker to earn bonuses quicker?
- You can multitable up to 50 tables simultaneously since the most recent software upgrade. Most computer screens are not big enough to tile more than six resizable tables at a time, but the “cascade” option (in the “View” tab) is a pretty handy feature if you want to play more than six tables at any one time.
- What are the system requirements for the Black Chip Poker software?
Black Chip Poker for Windows for MacIntosh System Requirements Minimum Recommended Minimum Recommended Operating System Windows XP Windows 7 n/a n/a Processor 1GHz Pentium 2GHz Pentium n/a n/a Memory 512MB RAM 1024MB RAM n/a n/a Disc Space 30MB 60MB n/a n/a Screen Resolution 800×600 1024×768 n/a n/a
- Who pays the charges for a MoneyGram or Western Union deposit?
- You do, unless the amount of your deposit is greater than $300.00 – in which case the site will cover the charges. If you are depositing in order to take advantage of the Black Chip Poker reload bonus, it is cheaper to deposit $300.00 (more than the bonus) provided you have the self-discipline not to use it at the tables!
- Is the Elite Benefits program any good recreational players?
- Yes. The program offers special “Medals of Achievement” cash bonuses which are calculated on the number of Benefit Points players earn throughout the year rather than over a month.
- Do I have to fund my account straight away?
- No. Black Chip Poker has a play money facility for new players to get accustomed to their software – but do not be fooled by the very loose standard of play on these tables where there is no fear of loss (because you can top up with another $1,000 of play chips straight away).